Sunday, August 10, 2008

Review - Michael Franti & Spearhead "All Rebel Rockers"

Okay, so being what you may call a spearist, I've been waiting for this new LP for a long time so the expectations were fairly high, even considering the fact I think that their albums seem to get worse as they go along. However, you can never write off such talented, inspirational and damn cool dudes as these.
So my thought process is (again) - Michael and co recording in Kingston with the fabulous Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, I immediately think WOW, you cant go wrong..... or can you?
The opening track starts well and gives an impression of 70's Roots Radicals, which is always good with me, but when the vocals come in I'm afraid it's back to mediocrity. Maybe i just want more angst to my Franti Lyrics or maybe its just that the smooth rich Baritone voice is the wrong selection for the Roots Rock Stylee. It maybe, even though it sounds good on paper, the two don't mix. Give me a franti fronted funk hip hop band anytime over this watered down reggae/funk/soul style.
Substance, substance, substance, now i know Michael is a man of great consciousness, great belief's and even greater focus, though the fact remains the spearhead sound is no longer doin' it for me, no matter how hard I try.
Got to go know and try and like this Lp if it kills me, Roll on the NZ tour, it may be that I need to renew my faith in Spearhead.
The Herbivore

No comments: